Disclosure: The Sociable Home is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate programs designed to provide a means for The Sociable Home to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you; this page includes monetized links. Please see The Sociable Home's Disclosure for more details.
This dresser had one great feature, the drawers. In order to highlight the drawers we decided to stain the drawers a red mahogany and paint the body white.
For this project we used the following materials:
As with every dresser that we have brought back to life, we really try to find the best attributes that the dresser has when deciding on a design. After stripping and sanding the drawers, it became evident that the wood on the drawers had some gorgeous wood grain. At this point, we decided to stain the drawers and paint the body white to make the drawers pop. The Minwax red mahogany stain really brought that wood grain out and accomplished our goals.
After we stained the drawers, we painted the body. It is always important to remember to tape the inside of the body where the drawers will slide in and out of. We will admit that this is not necessary, but if you want to have a repurposed dresser that looks professional, every detail matters.
The next step is to add the polyurethane to the dresser. This does two things: (1) it creates a layer of protection for the dresser from everyday abuse, and (2) it creates a smooth finish. We typically apply two coats of poly, but some projects may require more. After the poly has dried, we use a wet sanding technique with extremely fine sandpaper to ensure that the stained areas are smooth to touch. The wet sanding process is really simple, just spray on some lemon oil and lightly sand over the stained areas (you can also do this over the painted areas, but you need to be careful not to sand too aggressively over the painted areas or you will end up with a distressed look).
Unlike most of the dressers that we have repurposed, this dresser needed new sliders. Due to years of abuse, the sliders were worn out, making it tough to open and close the drawers. We ordered new sliders from Amazon, and once we installed them on the dresser, the drawer opened and closed like a new dresser.
The final step is to attach the hardware. On this dresser, we purchased new hardware to replace the wooden knobs that came on the dresser (they were in rough shape, and some were missing). Hardware is not cheap, but it can be the difference between an awesome finished product and a substandard finished product. The knobs that we picked from Hobby Lobby really allowed us to harmonize the red mahogany drawers and the white dresser body.
Josh and Sydney are life adventurers that love to learn and create. We are exact opposites and enjoy gaining new perspective. Our home is where our varying personalities shine, and we use it to gather our friends and family together.