Disclosure: The Sociable Home is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate programs designed to provide a means for The Sociable Home to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you; this page includes monetized links. Please see The Sociable Home's Disclosure for more details.
Sydney knew she wanted to create something new to go with our Mid-Century Modern Stanley Furniture Gold Dip Dresser, and making this piece was the perfect opportunity to do some work on canvas. She sketched up about 15 ideas before starting work on this piece.
I knew I wanted to blend a classic yet trending color like this sage green with some modern and art deco elements. What I didn't know was how this art set would come to life in such a dimensional way.
I went to Michael's to pick up my canvas and to brainstorm. I grabbed this 3-pack of 18x24 canvas and used two of the three, which allows me to save one canvas for a future project. This also had a sale running at the time, so that was definitely a win!
Next, I knew that I wanted to incorporate some wood tones and some gold. I also knew I wanted to put a modern twist on art deco arches. I walked around the store for a bit to get ideas, and I decided to utilize two packs of this 20 gauge wire and it was on sale. Friendly reminder to check the sales ads on their website before checkout. I already had a wire cutter at home, so I didn't need to purchase anything else.
When I got home, I watered down some paint I already had from Michael's made by Americana and it is the Thicket color option. I didn't need any fancy brushes, so I just used a foam brush to spread the paint on the canvas and let it dry.
Next, I marked center on each canvas and played around with ideas for how I would utilize a piece of wood to hold the arched wire. We have plenty of scrap wood on our rolling lumber cart, so I grabbed a few pieces of premium pine to use here. I decided to use a hand saw to cut a V shape in each piece that is similar to the picture below.
I cannot remember the exact measurements of my wood blocks, but I matched the width of it to the cross beam in the canvas. I am guessing that the length was approximately 2-3 inches long.
I stained the wood blocks with Minwax Special Walnut and waited for them to dry. I tend to use some form of finish on wood wall art but did not on this piece since it was such a small piece of wood anyways.
Once the wood blocks were dry, I used Gorilla Glue to glue them onto the canvas so that it was hovering over the crossbeam on the backside. Once dry, I also used some brad nails to secure it from the backside so that there was not too much weight pulling on the canvas.
Next, I marked equal distances on the sides of each piece for where I wanted my wire to attach. I used a 1/16" drill bit and my M18 Milwaukee drill to pre-drill small holes on the sides. I eyeballed each wire piece and cut it to length. Then, I added Gorilla Glue to the hole and stuck the end of the wire in and held it in place until the glue began to solidify. I continued this process for each wire.
I was hoping that the wire would form clean/smooth arch shapes; however, as I formed the arches to go under the wood block, they started to get little bends along the way. I was disappointed initially that it did not turn out the way I envisioned, but someone else found it beautiful. Thus, I decided to soak in the beauty and lay down the judgment.
Josh and Sydney are life adventurers that love to learn and create. We are exact opposites and enjoy gaining new perspective. Our home is where our varying personalities shine, and we use it to gather our friends and family together.